Monday, May 24, 2010

Herb wine grilled chicken

I've posted my recipe for herbed chicken breasts in white wine sauce. Its a favorite around here. I use the basic marinade often, it makes chicken taste SO GOOD!!!

This week I decided to marinate the breasts for 4 hours and grill them over charcoal. Boy was that a great decision!!! The chicken took on some lovely color from the grill and the long marinade gave the chicken fantastic flavor. I poked the chicken breasts aggressivly with a fork in all directions, on both sides, to allow more of the marinade penetrate the chicken. The fork marks were not visible on the finished product and the chicken was juicy and flavorful.

I used fresh herbs from my garden, as of right now I have 4 to choose from: sage, thyme, oregano and chives. All 4 made it into this marinade. I also used chablis white wine, again it was what we had. Any dry white wine will work. If you're not a wine drinker you can use white wine vinegar, about 2T, in place of the wine. Its not exactly the same but it'll impart a tangy yet sweet flavor to your meal. My Witchy Sissy uses vinegar on hers and loves it.

Herb wine chicken
makes 2 servings
2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
1/2 c dry white wine like chablis or chardonnay
fresh herbs finely minced (about 10 chive stems, 1 sprig oregano, 6 sage leaves and 3 small thyme sprigs)
3 cloves garlic chopped fine
1/2 t kosher salt
pepper to taste
2 T olive oil

In a small bowl mix the herbs, wine, salt, pepper, garlic and oil. Pour over chicken breasts that have been punctured with a fork on both sides, in both directions so marinade can penetrate meat. Allow to marinate for 4-6 hours.



~*~Kitchen Witch Tip: Allow your meat to come to room temperature before grilling or cooking it. You'll have a tender piece of meat that won't dry out on the outside and be undercooked inside. Having your protiens at room temp helps ensure even cooking as well, since the interior of the meat is the same starting temp as the exterior. While food safty is always important, leaving your chicken out on the counter in the marinade for a few hours (up to 2 hours) is safe, as long as you cook it to an internal temerature of 160.~*~



Cook chicken on a hot grill or sautee pan. Cook about 7-8 minutes on the first side or until the sides begin to turn opeque. Flip and cook about 5-6 minutes on second side, until internal temp reaches 160.

Nutrition Facts provided by Spark People recipe calculator
2 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 372.5
Total Fat 9.7 g
Saturated Fat 1.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.7 g
Cholesterol 136.9 mg
Sodium 1,316.9 mg
Potassium 620.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 3.5 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 0.0 g
Protein 54.8 g

13 comments:

Baking Addict said...

Looks delicious and healthy. Perfect for summer :)

tasteofbeirut said...

Personally I subscribe to the philosophy of simple is best and so this chicken with herbs is the best way I know of preparing chicken. Can't go wrong especially when your herbs are fresh!

Tonya said...

This looks so good. I suspect that you might have to make it again after the next time you get a "tip" for picking someone up at the airport ;)

Out of the Box into the Kitchen said...

sounds delicious!

Lorraine said...

Looks great! I am always looking for new marinades for chicken. This one sounds delicious and I just so happened to have all of the ingredients. One dinner down for this week. Thanks!

Sarah G said...

Very delicious! Tried it tonight and it was a hit with the whole family!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Sarah, Thanks! I'm glad it was a success!!

Tonya, oh yeah this can be arranged after taxi service :) What do you want to have with it? Let me know girl!

Raina, I hope you enjoy it - it really is one of our all time favorites here :)

Scuttleboose said...

YUM. Thanks for the tip about letting your meat warm in the marinade before grilling! :)

Unknown said...

I love how simple this dish is...and of course how yummy it looks and sounds! I'm not a white wine drinker, but I just may have to go and get a bottle for this recipe, I'm sure I can find another use for it too! Yum...can't wait to try it!

StephenC said...

Between you and jensfoodjourney I'm torn as to how to make chicken this week (we're due for chicken). Looks and sounds lovely.

Unknown said...

My husband is the griller and gardener in our house. I kill anything that sprouts any kind of growth and I think he grills to prove his 'manliness.' Hopefully I can get him to let me touch the new basil and chives so I can make this!!!! No seriously, if I even step to close to our herb garden, it dies.

Tonya said...

I may be bringing a "secret" ingredient for this recipe. Just have to wait and see tomorrow! Can't wait to see you.

Unknown said...

good advice about letting the meat get to room temp before grilling! Looks awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails