Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dill Pickles

The husband and little Witch LOVE dill pickles. We go through a LOT of them around here. Which is why I planted cucumbers and dill in the garden this year, to make homemade pickles. While I am not a pickle fan I enjoy making them and my family enjoys my efforts. Its really a win/win for everyone!

So I had mentioned to my husbands Aunt & Uncle that we were planning on making pickles this year. They asked if I had a recipe, to which I answered not really, just the few I've seen in the Blue ball canning book. Lucky for me they shared Uncle Gene's Great Grandma's Dill pickle recipe. A pickle recipe that's been handed down for generations has got to be good, right? Oh boy, it really is and this from someone who doesn't love pickles! I am one happy Witch to have made pickles from the garden produce and moreover that they're really really good.

Being the Kitchen Witch I, of course, had to add some things to the recipe, namely garlic, to make them into kosher dills. These pickles have a tart yet mellow flavor, the dill and garlic work well to bring you a true dill pickle flavor. The only complaint we have is that we didn't get more cucumbers from the garden this year because our stash of pickles is almost gone already!

Dill Pickles
From Uncle Gene's Great Grandma
makes 1 quart jar - 16 servings per jar approx
~*~This recipe is easily doubled or tripled depending on how many cucumbers you have. The brine will fill about 1 1/2 jars as written.~*~
1 quart size mason jar, cleaned and sterilized
enough cucumbers to fill the jar (about 12 small or 4-6 large)
4-6 heads dill
1 c cider vinegar
4 c water
1 T pickling salt
4 cloves garlic

Clean and sterilize the jar in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Bring the vinegar and water to a boil.

Slice the cucumbers into quarters if large, you can leave whole if they're small.

Put 2 cloves garlic and 2 heads dill in bottom of jar. Put salt in next. Pack jar with pickles tightly but not crushing them.



Top off with remaining garlic and dill. Pour hot vinegar solution over top, leaving 1/4 inch headroom.

Top with new sealing lid and screw ring tightened to finger tight.

Can in a water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from bath and allow to cool on counter overnight. Once cool store in a cool dry place for a minimum of 2 weeks before enjoying. Unopened will last up to 2 years, once opened use with in 2 months.



Nutrition Facts provided by SparkPeople recipe calculator
Amount Per Serving
Calories 17.9
Total Fat 0.2 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 438.6 mg
Potassium 181.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 0.8 g

~*~Don't forget to enter my drawing for a FREE $45 gift certificate to any CSN store!~*~

2 comments:

Tonya said...

My mouth is literally watering right now as I am looking at these. I LOVE dill pickles, especially with garlic. I haven't had homemade ones in years - probably since I was a little kid and my mom made the. Between my brother, sister and I, we ate an entire jar about every two or three days! Yum!

Unknown said...

Loving your 2nd pic Andrea...gorgeous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails