Friday, December 18, 2009

Cavity Finders aka Magic Bars


There is one thing that I make annually that really says CHRISTMAS to us and that's Cavity Finders. They also go by Hello Dolly bars, magic bars or 5 layer bars. But around here they are known as Cavity finders. The name should be pretty self explanatory but for those of you who don't get it let me explain. These bars are sweet, chewy, chocolaty goodness and if you have even the slightest dental imperfection you will know all about it after eating one of these bars. Is it a coincidence that we have our semi annual dentist cleaning appointment in January? I think not.

This recipe is NOT a Kitchen Witch creation. It is, however, simplicity and deliciousness in a 13x9 pan. My mom used to make these when I was a little girl. The recipe has been around forever - and regardless of what you call them, Cavity finders are Christmas baking at its finest, at least in this Kitchen Witches' eyes, and taste buds.

Cavity Finders
adapted from EAGLE brand Magic bars Recipe

1 stick unsalted butter
1 sleeve graham crackers, pulverized
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 bag chocolate chips
1/2 bag coconut flakes
1 c chopped nuts, optional



Preheat oven to 350*.

In a 13x9 pan place stick of butter and put into hot oven to melt butter.


Crush graham crackers. I use my food processor set up with a grating blade. This produces even crumbs and is turbo fast. If you don't have a food processor put the whole crackers in a large zip top bag and smash away. This method is a great way to relieve holiday stress!

Pour cracker crumbs evenly over melted butter. Tamp down with the flat end of a glass to create an even crust.


Top the crust with sweetened condensed milk.


Top the milk layer with the chocolate chips.


Top the chocolate chips with the coconut flakes.



Top coconut flakes with chopped pecans. Press firmly into pan with palm of hand. This creates a nice tight cookie and makes slicing easier.



Bake for 25 min or until sides are golden brown and the milk is bubbling up in the center. Allow to cool for a full 24 hours before cutting. Yes, I'm serious. The 24 hr rest gives the chocolate time to solidify and the ingredients to meld into a cohesive bar. Your patience will be rewarded!

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Mmm. Makes me want to lick my computer screen - but I'll refrain. Did you see that I made my first batch of cheese? TonyaDusold.blogspot.com Let me know what you think. It's not nearly at pretty as most of your creations but it tastes good.

encinodentalsmile said...

Thanks for sharing this pretty post, it was good and helpful. Share more like this. House call dentist in Encino

Related Posts with Thumbnails