Thursday, December 10, 2009

Creamy chicken noodle soup



I don't know about you but I like creamy soups. Broth soups like chicken noodle are good for an appetizer, but for a main course meal I need a nice creamy soup to really satisfy me.

So when the jones for chicken noodle soup hit I decided that a creamy version was defiantly in order. Lucky for me I had a fresh batch of chicken stock just waiting to be used. Chicken stock is so easy to make and the flavor is SO much better than canned, why use anything else? I'll share the chicken stock recipe with you all another time.


When I make soups I dice my veg pretty small, like 1/4 inch pieces. Yes I'm anal like that. I like even consistency in my veggies and meat, I should be able to fit one of each ingredient on a spoon with some delicious soupy part & enjoy the bite as a complete flavor experience. You, however, can hack your veggies as big or as small as you like.

Creamy chicken noodle soup

4 cups homemade chicken stock (ok, canned is fine too)
2 carrots, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 t poultry seasoning
2 chicken breasts, diced
1/2 of a 11 oz pack frozen 'fresh' egg noodles (dry egg noodles work too, use about 3 c)
1 c 2% milk
1/2 c half & half
3 T flour
2 T fresh minced parsley
1 T oil

Heat a large pot over med/hi heat. Add oil. Once hot add carrots, celery & onions. Sautee 5 min or until onions just start to brown. Add chicken.

When chicken starts to brown add the poultry seasoning and stir well. Don't worry if chicken sticks, it'll come up when we add the liquid. The browning, however, will add a lot of flavor so don't be afraid of it. Once you have some brown bits add the chicken stock and stir well, loosening browned bits from bottom of pan. Simmer 5 min or until carrots start to soften.

Add milk and noodles to soup. Stir well. Simmer on med heat covered for 12 minutes or until noodles are soft. Make a slurry of the half & half and flour (a slurry is a mix of starch and liquid that's added to thicken a soup or sauce. Add the flour to the half & half & whisk well - no lumps please!) Simmer for 5 min. Stir in parsley and enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails