Monday, April 5, 2010

Coleslaw


Its about 9:00 am on Easter Sunday I get the following instant message from my sister:
Sissy: I need to make coleslaw, so what do I need to do
Me: umm...let me think about that
Me: like the dressing or what
Sissy: like everything

You see, I'm not a coleslaw fan. Its the whole mayo hate thing, I've never really enjoyed coleslaw. So when Sissy asked me for a recipe I could only dig deep into my Kitchen Witch resources and hope that this was what coleslaw was supposed to taste like.

I knew from prior tastings that slaw usually has a slightly sweet sauce. Celery seeds were usually found in there too. Seeing as how cabbage is in the mustard family I figured a touch of mustard could only compliment the flavors. Most everything needs a big of acidity, so some red wine vinegar fits that bill. But the creamy part, what would I do for that?

If you guessed Greek yogurt, then you'd be right! Good ol' Greek yogurt saves the day again! It saves on calories and a mayo hater like myself can enjoy it. What's not to love here??

I was brave and tried the coleslaw with Easter dinner. Wow! It was SO good!! Who knew that THIS was what I'd been missing all these years! I can say with full confidence that I'll be making lots more coleslaw this summer. Hooray! I love discovering new foods & flavors. Especially when its things you once thought you hated. Love that!

Coleslaw
makes 6 servings
1/3 c Greek yogurt, plain
1/4 t celery seed
1 T vinegar, white or red wine type
1 T grainy brown mustard or dijon mustard
1 t sugar
S&P
1 small bag coleslaw veggies
OR
1/2 head cabbage finely shredded, 1/4 head red cabbage, finely shredded and 1 carrot grated

Mix the sugar and vinegar together until sugar dissolves. Stir that into the yogurt. Add the celery seeds, S&P and mustard, stir until combined.

Pour dressing over cabbage. Toss to coat.

Nutrition Facts provided by SparkPeople recipe calculator
6 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories 28.2
Total Fat 0.7 g
Saturated Fat 0.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 1.3 mg
Sodium 223.7 mg
Potassium 188.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 1.3 g

6 comments:

Megan H Carroll said...

May as well make this tonight... Cabbage is always in my fridge, greek yoghurt coming out of ying yang and fun vinegars... Thanks for passing it on.

Unknown said...

I could eat my weight in coleslaw!! YUM! This looks fantastic Andrea. Glad you enjoyed yours! I can't wait to try it..it's so much healthier using the yogurt instead of mayo anyway!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I LOVE the use of the Greek yogurt instead of mayo. I actually don't mind mayo, but the tang of yogurt would be even better. And sadly what keeps me from making coleslaw is the chopping of all the cabbage so I love the idea of buying it already shredded. This looks great!

Sarah said...

This looks really good. Greek yogurt is a great idea and I think the celery seeds would add that 'je ne sais quoi'.

tasteofbeirut said...

Andrea

I am like you re: mayo but I love coleslaw and usually make it with the lebanese dressing of olive oil and lemon juice and garlic but I love your version!

Lorraine said...

Hi Andrea. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am so happy you did because now I get to enjoy your blog. I love your recipes! Your coleslaw recipe sounds so good, and that 40 cloves of garlic chicken sounds incredible. Thanks for the great recipes! Looking forward to enjoying more!

Related Posts with Thumbnails