Sunday, April 18, 2010

Snickerdoodles

Cinnamon covered buttery cookies with a slight tang. If that intrigues you then please, allow me to introduce you to my friend the snickerdoodle. Maybe you've heard of them before, they are pretty old skool. But, like most good trends from days past, they are becoming popular again. And why not, whats not to love about these spicy delights? The cinnamon provides the perfect foil to the cookie's sweetness, cutting through it yet complimenting it simultaneous. Cream of tartar adds a sour tang and somehow manages to make the cinnamon taste more cinnamon-y.

Treat your family to an old fashioned favorite soon, they'll thank you!

Snickerdoodles
makes approx. 22 cookies
1 stick butter softened
1 egg
3/4 c sugar
1 3/4 c flour
1 t cream of tartar
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
Topping:
2 T sugar
2-3 t cinnamon

In a bowl mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda together.

In a work bowl cream the butter. Add the sugar, beat until light & fluffy. Add the egg, beat until fluffy again. Scrape down sides of the bowl.

Add the flour mix in 3 installments, scraping down sides between each installment. Once dough is mixed cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.

Once dough has chilled scoop into balls (1 T approx). Roll the balls in the cinnamon sugar mix. Place coated balls on a baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for 11-13 minutes. You don't want these cookies to brown at all, you want them to be set yet soft in the middle. Allow to cool on the tray for 2 minutes before removing to cooling racks.

Nutrition Facts provided by SparkPeople recipe calculator
22 Servings (cookies)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 107.6
Total Fat 4.5 g
Saturated Fat 2.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 20.9 mg
Sodium 113.9 mg
Potassium 39.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g

Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
Sugars 7.8 g
Protein 1.4 g

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Did I mention lately how much I love snickerdoodles? mmmmmmm... great pictures of them too! They have quickly become my second favorite cookie...chocolate chip being my favorite of course! They look fantastic Andrea!

Jess said...

I love snickerdoodles. You are making me hungry...

Lorraine said...

I have heard of these..never tried them though. Yours look yummy. I will have to try them now.

Sarah said...

Snickerdoodles must be an American thing. I had never heard of them until I started blogging. I'll have to make some.

Anonymous said...

Snickerdoodles - even if you don't know what they are, they HAVE to be American! Thanks Andrea for the recipe, I am finally going to bake these.

Heather said...

Snickerdoodles are the best things ever in life. They are reminiscent of my childhood, for sure!

Teauna said...

I still need to try this recipe! Don't you wish there were more hours in a day sometimes????

Related Posts with Thumbnails