Thursday, March 18, 2010

Quinoa stuffed tomatoes with asparagus and feta

I'm always trying to come up with new, healthy things to eat for lunch. The main stipulations have to be
1. low in mess!
2. low in calories
3. it has to be quick

On the counter I had asparagus and tomatoes that both needed to be used sooner rather than later.

In the summer when my garden is producing tomatoes like they're going out of style I like to stuff them with day old bread and fresh herbs. Its a delightful side dish that compliments pretty much everything! Stuffed tomatoes are wonderful but I was out of bread and bread crumbs.

Being a Kitchen Witch I took a chance with my new BFF quinoa. So far the quinoa has not let me down, but would it be good as tomato stuffing? I didn't see why not! Asparagus, tomatoes, a touch of lemon and feta, well this was shaping up to be a lunch worth blogging about. Low in calories, check. Quick and not too much mess? Check. A new lunch time favorite, check!

Quinoa stuffed tomatoes with Asparagus
serves 2-4 (2 for lunch, 4 for a side dish)
1/4 c quinoa
1/2 c water or broth
1/3 red bell pepper
6 stalks asparagus cut into small rounds
2 plum tomatoes, halved
herbs - dry italian seasoning mix 1/2 t added to the quinoa water
1 clove garlic minced
1 T onion minced
1 t EVOO
1 t lemon juice and a bit of zest if you have it
S&P
2 T feta cheese

In a sauce pan heat the EVOO over medium high heat. Once oils hot add the diced peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 min or until onions just start to brown on edges, add water, salt and quinoa, cover & reduce heat to low, cook 10 min. After 10 min add the asparagus, stir to incorporate, replace lid & allow to cook about 5 min longer or until all liquid is absorbed.

Halve the tomatoes across the length and scoop out the pulp. Lightly salt & pepper the tomato shells.

Spoon the quinoa veggie filling into the tomato halves. Top with feta cheese.
2 halves for a lunch serving, 1 half for a side dish



Nutrition Facts provided by SparkPeople recipe calculator
2 Servings (2 stuffed halves per serving)
Calories 157.7
Total Fat 5.6 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.0 g
Cholesterol 6.7 mg
Sodium 324.0 mg
Potassium 305.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 5.9

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Nummy! Your photography is amazing, Andrea! :)

Anusce@Ciao-Chow said...

Don't you just love QUINOA!!! I think it is one of the best items I could ever introduce into my eating habits!!!!

Isabelle said...

I have been looking for recipes with quinoa. This sounds wonderful! I will make it soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails